1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by AlexMonro, Jan 9, 2014.

1. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I think that's probably just another "unconventional" aspect of the Zeiss folding 35mm cameras and is a consequence of the advance and rewind knobs being on the bottom. I don't find it at all uncomfortable, and the knob wind is surprisingly quick and easy, especially as you get towards the end of the roll (more film on take up spool = larger diameter = greater length moved per turn).

Take up spool on the right probably became standard with lever wind, having the advance lever on the right is probably easier for right handed people.

Roll film cameras seem fairly arbitrary as to which side is feed and which is take up, with sometimes different format versions of the same model (e.g. 6x4.5 and 6x6) having them on opposite sides.

I think I've heard of that one. What gets me is how some minilabs number the frames (and files from scans) in reverse order - they can't have thought everyone was using an EOS!

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It seems to have been a Zeiss thing - my Werras also have the film "back to front". I wonder which side the original Contax spooled from/to?

Adrian

3. AlexMonro

I don't have a Contax as such, but the related Super Nettel and Kiev have the take up spool on the right.

4. CD176

CD176 New Member

Mr. Monro:

I am sorry to bother you with a question about a problem that may seem trivial.

I inherited my long-deceased father's folding Zeiss Contessa that I had not handled in over forty years. In the process of re-acquainting myself with the camera I extended the retractable support foot and I am unable to retract it. Reading the manual (Spanish version) did not help as it does not even mention the feature.

Seeing your very thorough old article on this camera I thought that you may be able to help.

Thank you in anticipation.

Carlos

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Pull it down a little, push it towards the rewind knob and then push it upwards.

S

6. CD176

CD176 New Member

Got it done!

Thank you Steve for saving the day :)

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

How did I know? I had the same problem...

S

8. AlexMonro

CD176, glad Steve was able to help you. I also had that problem with my first Contessa, and on another one, the support was very "sticky" and I had the devil's own job before I eventually persuaded it to retract.