1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which second hand Alpha (a mount) to go for?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by mmountain, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And the point is that is not the right way to look at it; except that even with cars, regular use keeps them in better condition than lack of use.

2. mmountain

mmountain Member

We'll agree to disagree.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Entirely up to you if you choose to ignore informed advice, but hopefully it will be useful to people who find this thread when researching the topic.

4. mmountain

mmountain Member

Super useful.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

How can a camera have that many shutter actuations and appear mint? OK I'm light on the motor drive but 169,000 actuations would take me nigh on 50 years.

6. mmountain

mmountain Member

I thought the same, but am unwilling to take the risk.

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Er its in the official brochure from Sony :eek:

page 21 "150,000 shutter release durability"

They are clearly using that as a selling point. So if you buy a A77 and the shutter dies after say 100,000 or sooner you going to feel tricked and misled. Especially as the A77 is sold as top end semi-pro model.

Sony do say approx 150,000 but I would not and I don't think others would accept that 100,000 is approx to 150,000 LOL

I would work on a 10% - or + rule so 135,000 or 165,000.

So above 165,000 on thin ice. Clearly Sony did not pluck 150,000 out of the air. I suspect tests have soon in a large amount of firing the count is good to 150,000. They might have even rounded down from a slightly higher figure like the 165,000 :)

I can't confirm from Sony but some has wrote the Sony A58 goes to 200,000 :)

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Could have been used as a studio camera or always transported in a case, but there is no way round it has taken 169,000 shots.

As I said the shooter might have been into action and used the 12fps a lot. :)

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Multi frame noise reduction , in camera panorama shots and the auto HDR function also adds heavily to the frame count .
    If the last owner was into timelapse photography the frame count could be very high with the camera sat on a tripod not even being handled .