1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Photography Show 2017

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by IvorETower, Feb 25, 2017.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Usual question at this time of year: Who is going and on what day(s)?
    I have a ticket for the opening Saturday, 18 March, and aim to be there for the 10:00am start-of-day proceedings.

Anyone from AP Staff going too?

2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Although I'm right in the middle of my cancer therapy I've booked a ticket for the Saturday and will be making the effort . If I'm too ill on the day then I'll be a no show.

3. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Like to go but being where I am can't get there this year.

4. IvorETower

^ Still in Salisbury?
    Salisbury to Basingstoke, pick up the Cross-Country train from Basingstoke to Reading to the NEC."Split your ticket" by buying from Salisbury to Banbury return, then Banbury to the NEC return to approximately halve the cost of a "normal" return ticket

Louise likes this.
  5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Hope to be there on Monday if not Tuesday.........and no I will not be carrying a camera with me!

6. Mark101

If anyone woiud like for a meet up and a coffee on the Saturday please PM me. Looking forward to it if I can make it, but doubt if I'll be buying anything myself.

7. IvorETower

You mean you want someone to buy you coffee?
    I'll try to send a PM later in the week if I remember......

8. Mark101

Might have to be tea because the medication has altered my taste buds and coffee tends to be a bit hit and miss at the moment. :eek:

9. IvorCamera

A free coffee? I might change my day to Saturday..........got you going then hey........

10. Mark101

;)

11. IvorETower

Well, Mark101 and I (and his wife) managed to meet up on Saturday and wander round together for about an hour.... must have been a good show as I was there before opening time and left at 5pm, latest I've ever stayed. I didn't notice any real bargain there this year, I guess times are still hard for the retailers. Panasonic had a huge stand by floor size, but very little equipment on display. We discovered their brochures/literature does not include any details at all about their flashguns! Their staff referred us to their website for technical information. Oh well.....

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I watched the AP walkabout video on Facebook. It was a hoot! Dreadful pictures, pixellated and blurred - and all the words were right to left - ynoS for example! How does that happen? It wasn't one of APs biggest successes - a bit like the awards ceremony. So if anyone out there is good at taking videos I'm sure AP would like to hear from you. Haha!

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was very busy. I was not expecting the crush or the noise. I stuck it for a couple of hours (I hate crowds and noise) but it wasn't the environment for asking questions. AP desk seemed busy. I walked by a few times but always a queue and the last time it was being videoed so I kept clear. I was surprised at the size of the service industry (training, insurance, print services, etc.) represented. I enjoyed the Permajet display as I wanted to see the different papers - unfortunately the stand was not equipped with daylight balanced light so everything was a little warm. I finally got to see and hold a Sony RX10 mk III, not a bad weight but I still have to find a local demo version for my wife to see if it is too heavy for her. The Fuji GFX-50S was a bit more of a lump than I was expecting, I thought the EVF would look more natural but it still looks like an EVF does under those lighting conditions.

14. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Can it be done in a day? I don't think so :)

Have to agree with you, last time I went I was literally shouting at the guy in charge of the Cyberlink store and he STILL couldn't hear what I was saying because of all the racket. Ended up writing notes in the end because I started developing a headache. I also didn't like the garden which was false and plasticky

15. Mark101

Diane and me had a great day out, despite both being just a little high on medication and having a few trips over the very dangerous display area platforms.

Managed to meet up with IvorETower, aka Chris, and we wandered around seriously looking for a purchase. To be honest there was very little available that came close to easing my wallet open but I did end up with a Lee Filters item and a couple of cheap books. However, it was a good opportunity to chat with stand holders and dive into some of the talks. I did want a small flash for my GX8 , but no stand could offer decent advice nor get me near a sale. On getting home turns out a Pan/ Olympus fit Nissan i 40 would fit the bill.

All in all not a bad day and personally I didn't find it too crowded... main gripe would have to be poor access to purchasing opportunities and a little too much of a showcase event.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The equipment I personally found most interesting was the Irix lenses - 11mm and 15mm full frame manual focus lenses in a choice of plastic or metal barrels. Both varieties of each very nicely engineered with excellent attention to detail. Very, very impressed.

The big Fuji seemed a curate's egg to me - quite nice handling, horrible EVF.
    Like Mark, I updated my filter kit a little with some Lee items.

Oh, and Salgado was there. ;)

17. IvorCamera

Tuesday.....I was there at the show.....first the train was packed solid and was not pleasent, after arriving at the Show I was dissapointed to be told there was no neckstraps for your entrance ID card apparently they ran out yesterday and none of the exhibitor stands had any either, I do like to know peoples names when I am talking to them.....we did however manage to get a free cup of coffee! I desperately wanted a Nikon 100th anniversary yellow bag, no chance somebody said they appear every so often and then there's a stampede so we left them to it, we went to visit the AP stand where I collected the latest mag for £1 but the guy selling them did not seem interested to talk photography! Then it was off to search for the RPS stand there was a couple of young girls and a couple of guys manning the stands but they seemed more interested in trying to get people to join, I am already a member so there was not much more to say, on one of the stands they were giving away a free camera sling bag for a 12 month subscription to a variety of mags to choose from, the sling bag offer was a bargain so I handed over the cash and managed to get a bag after they said they would post it to me, but very soon I will be off on my travels so they let me have a bag there and then which was very good of the lady that served me, there was nothing else that interested me in equipment, after looking at some of the 1st class pictures that was on show, we decided to go and head back to Birmingham where we had a nice Chinese meal and a bottle of plonk.....then we headed back home........when I got home my present cameras seemed to look at me with a sigh of relief when they noticed I had not purchased a new camera.....

Catriona likes this.
  18. IvorETower

There were no neckstraps from the off on the first day of the show... I was there before it opened and your e-ticket was just scanned, no requirement to have it on display round your neck. I managed to get a yellow 100-year Nikon bag, but no further freebies on offer, even for someone born in the same year as the F-Mount was launched :-(

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Plenty of lanyards when I got there this morning, and indeed when I left again.

20. IvorCamera

We got to the show at about 10-30am as soon as the cards were scanned they said they had no lanyards left, even the programme sellers said they have not seen any at all, but what surprised me was none of the exhibitors had no lanyards on their stands, I thought it was a bit of a mean cut back to be honest! I don't expect any freebies really but a lanyard to hold a pass is quite important in this day and age for security and ID. On the way back to the station there were plenty that had been deposited in the rubbish bins so it seems they did not run out of them..but it did not matter at that stage I had more important things on my mind....drinking and eating!