1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock Photo Sites - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Patricia McHugh, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Patricia McHugh

Patricia McHugh New Member

Hello,

I have recently been looking into the world of stock imaging sites and registered with Image Brief before submitting some examples of my work to Getty/iStock. Getty/iStock have just got back to me to say they would be happy to take me on.

Has anyone had any experience of Getty/iStock or Image Brief?
    Is it worth it? Are the financial gains minimal?
    If I submit to Getty, can my images be submitted to other stock imaging sites?

I am a stay at home mum and I'm just interested in using my hobby to generate some income to upgrade my equipment. All thoughts would be welcomed on this!

Thanks in advance

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The advice generally is that stock photography can provide some money. How much depends on either volume or finding a niche. You'll need to review the T&C's for Getty to see if their submission is 'exclusive' or not, I don't know specifically.

Lastly, is it worth it is only a question you can answer. If you're taking the photographs anyway, or you have the time to take some and it doesn't get in the way, then making some money from them may well be useful. Whether you can make enough to upgrade equipment depends on volume and finding a niche in what is, by it's very nature, an extremely crowded market.

Good luck - I keep thinking about dipping my toe in, but I'm usually defeated when I try and work out how the tax works (most Stock Agencies are US based, and I've struggled to understand how to not pay loads of tax on the payments - 'tax withholding' agreements).

However, I'm easily discouraged :)

3. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Active Member

Not sure of this but I just read an article on Stock and I am pretty sure Getty was exclusive.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Of course, taking two near identical shots of the same thing and hosting them on different stock sites is essentially trivial so ...

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I see a new camera in your future - donated by grateful copyright lawyers ;)

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There was that bloke reckoned to have made £250k from stock shots and never been more than 30 miles from Aberystwyth. A rare talent.

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Yes, If my memory serves he works full time as a photo journo, so is out all day every day with his camera. He is invariably first to any action in the area. He uploads a lot to the live news feed on Alamy. Still impressive though, I mean, Aberystwyth:eek:

8. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere (may have been here) that the few photographers who make any money from such services:

(a) Have tens of thousands of images on the sites

(b) Pay particular attention to descriptions and keywording

(c) Upload photographs carefully selected to meet potential users' requirements (e.g. news agencies)

(d) Work towards those ends on a full-time basis.

I also read (again, maybe on this site) that 97% of photographers who submit images to such agencies earn absolutely nothing.