1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St. Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all our Irish friends and forumites. :)

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

When in Edinburgh on Friday night, Princes Street was alive with drunken teenagers wearing Guinness hats and singing Irish rebel songs.

To avoid inciting a breach of the peace, I refrained from advising them that Guinness is despised by many Irish people because its founder, Arthur Guinness, was hated by republicans as he was a rabid Unionist who vehemently opposed Irish independence.

I can only hope that I never discover that any single malt whisky distillery in Scotland was founded by a similarly-minded person! :)

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Poor Patricius was an unwilling immigrant to Ireland who may actually have been called something quite different such as Corthithiacus, Maun or Soccetus.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

We Had a Great Parade here in Birmingham on the 12th with no problems what so ever! and on the 17th lots of drunken people in the pubs enjoying the free Irish Stew drinking Guinness and waiting for the big race at Cheltenham, and no I did not back the winner so I shall not be upgrading the gear this year!
    St Patricks Day,B'Ham.jpg

5. IvorCamera

Oh by the way, the pub in the background is the Old Crown dating back to the 1600s and for those of you who thought I was the oldest boozer in Birmingham this is proof that I am not....

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm 1/16th Irish. Not enough to get me Irish citizenship to mitigate this Brexit debacle, but sufficient to justify a pint of Guinness every now and then. On Friday I went to see a local Am/Dram production of Rock of Ages so had to content myself with a can of Guinness in a plastic pint pot so we were really stretching the authenticity to its limits there. Musical was good though!

7. IvorCamera

Ok did you spot my deliberate mistake?..........The Old Crown dates from 1368 not the 1600s......... no more emails ok.......

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I don't know what the situation is today but wasn't it the case that Guiness for England, and possibly Scotland, was actually brewed in Park Royal, London....................

The Old Crown, Digbeth? Didn't there used to be a great folk club in the pub? Long, long ago I seem to recall going there with Pete & Chris Coe.

Lynn

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

All guiness sold in the UK has been brewed in Dublin since 2005. The only positive of brexit is there's an outside chance that we could make it prohibitively expensive to import the vile muck in the future.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

All the Park Royal brewed draught stuff was pasteurised, unlike that produced in Dublin for Ireland, which did nothing for the flavour. There are certainly far better stouts and porters from small breweries these days.

11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think Chris Coe is now playing with Lisa Warburton, though I may be wrong.

S

12. IvorCamera

Yes all Guinness is now brewed in Dublin.......but in some places where its served around the UK it might as well be brewed in Taiwan........

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You do realise that describing Guinness in any guise as vile muck may be seen as provocative. I am not a regular drinker of stout, but when I am in the mood to do so then it is Guiness that I ask for. To me Guiness is synonimous with stout.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which I'm afraid betrays a lack of Learning in the subject. ;)

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I don't like Guiness myself Dave used to drink it now and again but I have drunk a good stout from time to time

16. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Guinness. A much overrated brew far inferior to Murphy's. In my humble opinion of course.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

All beer is just as nice as all other beer. Or something like that... :confused:

18. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Oh No It's Not!!

As a teenager growing up in Edinburgh, I was acutely aware that some Scottish beer was rather nice but other brands, e.g. Ushers, was understandably referred to as Gnat's Piss. All the English beer with which we were acquainted at that time was liquid sewage such as Watneys Red Barrel, Whitbread Tankard, Worthington E and similar urine-like brews.

Much later, we discovered palatable English beers such as Black Sheep and, at much the same time, the chemical beers of Scotland began to be supplemented by nice local brands such as Harvieston and Inveralmond.

I think that has been a general trend in Scotland, England and even USA in recent times.

But, having mentioned Usher's beer, let me remind you of the story about the artist who was commissioned to paint a mural for the boardroom of the new Usher headquarters. The great day arrived and the chairman's wife pulled the cord to reveal the painting.

There were gasps of horror and dismay when a beautiful landscape was revealed, in the centre of which was a gushing waterfall, beside which a young, naked, couple were copulating.

Next day, the artist was summonsed to the boardroom to explain his desecration of the brand's good name.

"Well", he explained. I was commissioned to paint a picture that captured the spirit of Usher's beers. There you have it - F u c k ing near water. (hope the profanity filter lets me away with that!)

LesleySM and Zou like this.
  19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

When the Ushers brewery in Trowbridge closed and the developers started circling, the whole lot was bought by the North Koreans and rebuilt in Pyongyang. Probably explains why Kim Jong I'll claimed to have such drinking prowess.

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

You are right but once there the Boyo, who was very well educated, did a great job. Cheers, Oly