1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Mary's Island, Whitley Bay,

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by KymS4800, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

1. KymS4800

KymS4800 Member

FB_IMG_1499544599793.jpg As per Mike's request, tips gratefully received for this one

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You did well with flare there! I'd straighten it up, clone out the flare spot, and maybe experiment a bit with the contrast.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I find the light reflections on the left distracting. Is that some kind of structure reflecting the light?

4. KymS4800

KymS4800 Member

Yes Tony it's the sidewall of the causeway. I could do something with that

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

There is a bit too much burnout around the sun, it badly needed a ND grad, that would be my main point. This is quite late in the sunrise to be shooting without one. By that stage, I'd probably be looking to frame without the sun. It is a better light source than photo subject and you have plenty of nice content without it.

6. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

It's a nice composition (apart from the fact it's a bit tilted).

It's way too late to shoot into the Sun - harsh contrast. I would recommend arriving at this location a good 45minutes before sunrise and waiting for the right moment - I like 15 to 10 minutes before sunrise. Once the Sun rises into a clear(ish) sky then it's time to look the other way.

It looks very soft to me. Either out of focus or camera shake. A tripod is recommended and practice hyperfocal distances for maximum depth of field where you have prominent foregrounds, such as here.

7. KymS4800

KymS4800 Member

Thanks for the advice everyone