1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shutter and Advance lever stuck on OM20

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Raphael, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Raphael

Raphael New Member

Hey guys firstly thank you for taking the time out of your day to help.

I've recently inherited my late mother's OM20, i'm only 18 so you can understand how foreign film cameras are to me. I opened it up and it was able to shutter correctly and it seemed to be working perfectly however after rewinding it to get the counter back to "s" the camera now fails to shutter. The lever doesn't move past halfway and the shutter mirror is stuck halfway up, I can lightly push the mirror down but not up and it always springs back into the halfway position. Please help me repair it as the camera has a lot of significance to me and i'd love to use it.

Thank you so much, sorry for my lack of knowledge

Raphael

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Flat batteries? The camera is battery dependent on all shutter speeds (I think - am posting from memory) except 1/60 second, the flash sync speed.

Have batteries been left in the camera for a long time? Try the battery check. Open the battery compartment, the batteries may have leaked, even though they still provide some power.

Try the camera on 1/60 sec shutter speed but first you have to do a reset. Do you have a manual? I'm going to have to look that up! Why not research that on-line yourself after checking the batteries?

Let us know how you get on.

3. Raphael

Raphael New Member

Thank you for the speedy reply. So i've checked the batteries and you're right one of them looks like it's leaked. So i'll need to get more, I put the camera on 60 shutter speed and manual mode and the lever still doesn't pull all the way back. I've looked into finding a way to restart it but I've only been able to find guides for cameras will the reset button on the 'shutter wheel' which mine does not have. I don't have the manual but I did find one online but I couldn't find anything about resetting unfortunately.

4. 0lybacker

It should be in the manual. I need to go look at a photo of the OM20 to remind my ageing brain whether it has a lens throat shutter ring. I'll get back to you.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

6. 0lybacker

Raphael, first thing is clean the battery compartment. A little lemon juice on a cotton bud will help clear the corrosion from the leak. Then clean the battery compartment with a water damp tissue and allow to dry. Then use a pencil eraser to clean the contact inside. An old-fashioned typist's pencil eraser is very handy for this (and slightly abrasive) as is the brush on the other end, but if you do not have one just cut a tube like length off an ordinary eraser and use that. Obviously it needs to go down into the battery compartment to reach the battery contact, a little spring. Blow the debris away. Insert new batteries.

Turn the dial under the rewind nob to the B setting. That should release the mirror. If not, rotate that same dial up to the battery check position, then back to the B setting. That should work. I hope. Let us know how you get on. If not there may be another problem with the camera.