1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you buy a brand new film camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, May 18, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I own several including an FM2n. I also have developing and printing kit. I would not buy a new film camera. The question for me is would I set up a darkroom in my present house? If I did so then I think that I would restrict myself to monochrome although I printed colour from slides for a few months before going digital.
    Film deserves silver prints at least.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I used to own a Bronica system in the 90s, sold it because just too heavy to lug around. Plus Kodak stopped releasing Kodachrome roll film as well.

Unless you going to stay pure analogue then you need to scan the MF film very well to get the full benefit of the system.

I think MF digital is under threat now sensor technology at 35mm has had a leap forward.

We know Canon have a very high res 250MP which is in in APS-H format so what does this mean for 35mm sensors :)

http://www.canon.co.uk/about_us/pre...meras_accessories/aps_h_size_cmos_sensor.aspx

It would suggest 366MP! is possible LOL

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you scan film then you might as well shoot digital to start with. Analogue colour film was always a problem for the amateur. The fact the Kodachrome was best didn't help; you couldn't process it yourself. If I started shooting film again then it would be monochrome and I would develop and enlarge it myself.

4. P_Stoddart

I don't agree, film has its own 'feel', scanning well picks up on that 'feel'. :)

So a film shot of a scene and a digital shot of a scene will look very different depending on the film used.

Yes you could post process on a computer to copy the 'feel' of film to a degree but you still might not get it quite right.:)

I think to a certain degree that is why there has been a revival of film shooting :)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Again no answer that I find applicable. The answer would be "No I already have good film cameras" so why would I buy another?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, MF or LF.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

DON'T mess around with 5x4 inch. Go straight to the "ideal format", 5x7 inch/ 13x18cm/ half plate (all fit in the same cameras).

Cheers,

R.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Too late, I've had 5x4 for several years now. It's my preferred aspect ratio, so either a decent 5x4 view camera or 10x8 one day.

9. Roger Hicks

Eurgh. The 4:5 ratio is great for Hollywood portraits, but I find it too stumpy for everything else.

What 5x4 have you?

Cheers,

R.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just Zero 45 (pinhole), at 25mm focal length.

11. Roger Hicks

Sounds like fun. How bad is the vignetting?

Cheers,

R.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not terrible, all things considered (unless shooting paper negs) but pretty heavy - decent examples below (others show much more vignetting):

[​IMG]
    Untitled
    by Zou san, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Tjuvholmen, Oslo
    by Zou san, on Flickr

P_Stoddart likes this.
  13. P_Stoddart

Quite like that top one with the shadows of the pillars adds to pattern of the shot :)

Zou likes this.
  14. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Member

Absolutely not!

I have been doing this off and on for 30+ years. Owned a One Hour photo lab once. No desire to ever go back to the hassle and expense of film. Especially since I would probably just scan it into a digital format anyway. There is not novelty in it for me anymore and I can save a step and just start with digital.

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

I was originally not going to respond to either the Poll (not that I can - my Browser doesn't seem to support AP Polls) or this Thread and I wish now that I hadn't read it!

This:

has been sowing naughty thoughts into my head! :mad:

Especially as I still have a 5x4 lens (currently in Nikon Norm's possession) and darkslides and some film.

Must stay strong and resist. o_O

16. Roger Hicks

I particularly like the first one. Have you a gallery of other 5x4 pics anywhere?

Cheers,

R.

Zou likes this.
  17. Paul Manuell

Paul Manuell New Member

Lovely photos, both of them, especially the first one, has a sort of surrealism to it. As they were pinhole shots, what sort of exposure times were they and how did you calculate how long was needed?

Zou likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

These were both shot in good light, the first on Delta 100, the second on HP5+ (400). As such (good light) the exposure is quite short, probably about 10 seconds in the first at most, and maybe 2 seconds in the Oslo shot. To determine exposure I use a light meter (either handheld old Weston Master or a digital camera) and adjust accordingly. The camera was supplied with a simple card calculator, like the one below. So if my reading at 100 ISO was 1/60s at f8 you turn the dial so that f8 at 1/60 align. Then look around the dial to where you find the aperture of the pinhole camera (in my case f138, and add exposure time for reciprocity failure as required. That's all it takes, and to be honest, when you are familiar with your film stock and the light, you can guesstimate exposure pretty well most of the time.

[​IMG]

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Flickr album here.

20. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Resistance is futile .
    You know their can be only one outcome .
    You might as well get it ordered now and by the time you recieve it the rain might have stopped !