1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phase One P20 digital back question.

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Footloose, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I have one of these backs, which I'm using on a Hasselblad 500CM, but sometimes I find that the auto colour temperature setting it uses, isn't as it should be, in comparison to shots taken at the same time on an Olly E-M1. Now I'm guessing that how this takes this reading is a lot less sophisticated than the methods used nowadays, so I am wondering if instead of faffing around converting the Colour temp it is using, the Auto WB setting, would it be better and less time consuming if I set the back's colour temperature on 'Daylight'? - The back doesn't tell me exactly what colour temperature it uses, so this could be (I gather) 6500k or 5500k - except that is the one used by film.

Having taken shots outdoors, I suppose I could use then change the setting in Kelvin to that indicated by my digital camera, via my image-editing software which is PSP, but do I also change the 'Tint' setting directly below this (Green to purple)?

Another puzzle arises, which is that below those two, is an 'Enhance White balance' which allows me to yet again change the same settings? Seeing these as well has rather confused me as to which I should change!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I would expect "daylight" as a preset to be between 5000 and 5500. Depending on the subject you could also take a custom white balance off a grey card. I did this once for shooting under trees and it made a big difference, I never bother to carry a grey card though. In post I often alter colour temperature of the AWB camera setting but rarely the tint, my "colour eye" isn't good enough and I spoil more than I improve if I touch it.