1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay and Display

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, May 15, 2017.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Many thanks.

I have no interest in photo competitions I just enjoy taking photos for my own benefit, whether they are captive or not does not matter.

I would however be interested to know if shots taken in safari parks or birds reserves are deemed wild.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't get any sense of achievement taking pictures at feeding stations. Even with minimal fieldcraft skills I have been surprised at what I have been able see over the last couple of years - all common birds in plain sight mostly but unnoticed because I never looked.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Where do you draw the line? Not all bird reserves have feeding stations but they are set up to attract birds, are they to be ignored?

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Mostly! But it doesn't mean you cannot enjoy seeing birds come to a feeder!

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Red Kite feeding stations, zoos.... Yak

6. exspmr

exspmr In the Stop Bath

A zoo has a Yak. Which one ...

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I am not the final arbiter but my take would be that safari parks would not be deemed wild - think of lions at Longleat - they are not allowed to behave naturally.

Bird reserves vary so much I don't think that you could make a generalization. Take Minsmere where the habitat is managed to help the birds but the birds can do whatever they wish - I'd say that they were wild. At the other end there are bird reserves that clip the flight feathers of birds and they are certainly not wild. As I said i don't think it possible to generalize.

MickLL

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of the sketch on the 'Frost Report' featuring Cleese, Barker and Corbett.

I can also draw comparisons with my other passion, fly fishing. There are those who believe they are superior because the only fish upstream, dry fly only on tiny limestone brooks, for small wild brown trout. This apparently makes them better than those who fish upstream dry fly only on manicured banks of southern chalks streams, who in turn think they're better than those who fish across & down with nymphs and wet flies, who in turn think they're better than those who fish large stocked reservoirs, who in turn think... etc. It's the reason I no longer visit any fly-fishing forums.

As long as you get pleasure from what you're doing, who cares what others think. As for the NH debate, I photograph across the whole spectrum from truly wild in their natural habitat, to captive animals in zoos and I can honestly say that to get a very good zoo shot is every bit as challenging as stalking a wild animal. The challenges are different , but both require skill and dedication to achieve the desired results.

exspmr and EightBitTony like this.
  9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

BTW I'm an upstream dry man because the thrill of the take (IMHO) is so much greater than any other method. That doesn't make me better than anyone!!!

MickLL

10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Asda do a very tasty cod loin.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm a saltwater man myself. UK only. When I started doing it 20 years ago I was considered a nutter.

12. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

A zoo has a Yak. Which one ...[/QUOTE]
    Yakety yak ! Dont go back, bring out the papers and the trash.....as the song goes.

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Martin,

You mean people have revised their opinion of you since?

(Sorry: couldn't resist. No personal insult intended. I don't even know what one catches in salt water in the UK. Apart from ear infections, in my case.)

Cheers,

R.

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I once worked with a chap who tried angling, but gave it up because he found it boring. However, one thing thing he noticed was that a lot of the well-off anglers of his acquaintance would buy expensive reels and dispose of them when they developed a slight fault. So he developed a lucrative side-line buying said reels for peanuts, fixing them (which was, to him, dead easy in most cases) and selling them on to less wealthy anglers for sensible prices.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Many years ago my uncle devised a plan to supply himself with the odd eating fish and, as a bonus, to annoy the many sea fishing persons who'd set-up on the beach in the evening.

It was his habit to walk along the beach of an evening, usually from Leiston down to the beach at Sizewell and then along to Thorpeness in Suffolk where he'd enjoy a few pints in The Dolphin before walking home again. I must emphasise that this is many years ago, before the fire that destroyed The Dolphin - back when it was a real pub instead of the fake haven for people with more money than sense that the re-built version is now.

I know nothing about fishing so I've no idea whether this is a common device, but what he did was build himself a kind of wooden fin. The fin, around two and a half feet long by two feet deep was a flat piece of wood with lead wrapped around the bottom edge so that it floated vertically in the water. A line was attached fore and aft, with the fore line being slightly longer than the aft line and both of these connected to a long line on a spool.

Along the bottom of the fin were a number of short lengths of fishing line with appropriate hooks and bait attached.

He'd get to the beach and toss the fin into the water, where it would bob upright because of the weights at the bottom. As he started walking along the beach to the pub he'd tow the fin along, paying out the line from his spool. The fact that the fore line was longer than the aft meant the the whole affair would move further out into the sea. Once it was far enough out he'd pay out no more line from his spool and continue his pleasant walk to the pub.

Imagine flying a kite...but horizontally rather than vertically...and in the sea.

When he reached Thorpeness all he had to do was reel the fin back in and gather the fishes caught on the hooks - much to the disgust of all those present using traditional fishing accoutrements! If there was nothing of a reasonable size he'd throw the lot back - if there was something decent he'd take it with him. An adjustment of the fore and aft line lengths meant that he could fish on the way home from the pub as well.

As I say, I have no knowledge of fishing so I don't know whether this is a common device, but for my uncle (who was something of an eccentric inventor) it was nice to see his device working - unlike his small catamaran Shy Tot which, as far as I'm aware, is still at the bottom of Hayling's Pond after it sank while being tested to see whether the hull was water-tight!

Cheers, Jeff

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Learning likes this.
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No. Some people even pay for the privilege to be shown where to be a nutter.

As for what I catch...Bass primarily.

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Draught or bottled?

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Shandy.

19. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I believe that the subsequent discussion proved you wrong.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Indeed.