1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW IDEARS

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Dion 47, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Dion 47

Dion 47 Well-Known Member

Is there anything you would like the manufactures of camera's and lenses etc in the next few years develop to improve what is already on the market. Or something new you would like to see

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Always want less noise at all ISOs and more pixels. More compact lenses in particular.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

And less distortion.

On the other hand, what one person calls "defects", another calls "character".

Cheers,

R.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'd really like a digital rangefinder camera that takes L39 lenses but comes in at under £1000. A digital Cosina Voigtlander Bessa R would do me very nicely. I won't hold my breath though :(

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The trend towards increased dynamic range and nicer noise at higher ISOs is suiting me fine. I think my Nikon 800-series cameras are pretty good in those respects but I wouldn't say no to even better performance.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I would like to see all mirrorless come with a swiss type Quick release built into the base plate.
    It would be so easy and convenient. And add little if anything to the cost of production.
    I do not care if Dslr cameras have them or not.
    If the camera is thinner than the standard jaws it would be cheaper to have an adapter plate that you could slide into the female part of the QR to narrow the Jaw.
    Deeper cameras could have a step design in the base to fit the standard QR.

Nodal Ninja have made a QR that fits both the arca and manfrotto plates, by changing one of the jaws, I hàve a preproduction one. That I was given to test some five years ago.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Lens designs for mirrorless cameras are getting smaller, in fact prime lenses are getting back to the Planar and Tessar size.
    Telephotos will always be somewhat larger. Zooms are the main problem with their complex multiplicity of lens elements.
    However if antishake is moved to the body of the camera, all lenses, with that mechanism, could be smaller.
    So far lens designers have used new glass compounds to make corrections better and resolution higher, rather than concentrate on reducing the size of the lens.
    Hybrid polished and moulded glasses and other new mediums will eventually allow less elements to be sufficient to correct all aberrations that are not better corrected by firmware.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

i'd certainly like to see the makers concentrate more on image quality and performance at high ISO than continuing to obsess on pixel count. Considering what modern digiboxes can do at 24Mp+ I can't help wondering how good the low light performance would be at half that kind of pixel count.

Frankly I could also be quite happy with a simpler set up and fewer options. If we really need all these amazing choices of focus area and follow focus control etc etc you have to wonder how the hell we ever got pictures when we had nothing but eyeball and hands to adjust the focus...:D

RogerMac likes this.
  9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But when they do launch things like that, they seem to be niche / low volume and therefore higher cost. I don't need more than F90x had on it, with a screen.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No trailing wires for addons like GPS, Wifi or radio controlled flash. These should not be in the camera taking space and consuming battery. They should not have wires trailing to something on the hot shoe or some silly bracket. Have them as optional user installable modules in a grip with extra battery/s. The grip may not be the best place for the antenae. No problem. the antenae become reinforcing wires within the plastic body of the camera; there's no'wt wrong with the right plastic for the body, especially if it is reinforced with the wires of the antenae. Nikon please note. My idea is that the user chooses which modules and batteries go in the grip. Choose any three from GPS, radio flash, or one to three batteries. How diffcult is that? Its even easier than rocket science.
    Edit Why is this thread in talking pictures? I expected a thread about new ideas for pictures: not technology.

11. Terrywoodenpic

The only new ideas in images comes when there are new inventions to photograph, or that they them selves, offer up new ways to photograph things.
    I rather doubt there has been any totally new ideas for the last 100 years. Just better and new ways to do what has always been done.
    Photographers have never lacked ambition, only the means to do some things.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hard to say. I basically treat a digital camera as if it were a film camera. The main advantage is I can change the ISO. I appreciate the developments in AF because I was always useless at manual focussing. I like the resolution you can get these days. I went from a 5D to a 5Ds so quite a big jump. The one thing that would be good would be assured backward compatibility in OEM software. I need Adobe LR now to have the capability to edit all my Canon Raw files (from 5D, 1Div, 5Ds) in one place.

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

According to Canon UK page the current version of DPP 4 is compatible with every EOS back to the 20D...

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Of course there's always the possibility of user-replaceable, single-use sensors. You could get (say) 36 of them on a roll...

Cheers,

R.

RovingMike likes this.
  15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well I never!

I just downloaded the latest release (for mac - dated June this year) and indeed it recognises my 5D files from 2007 (on the basis of testing 1 of them). Many thanks for that.

16. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Nah.....It would never catch on ;)

17. Terrywoodenpic

That enters the field of philosophy.....
    Buy once and use many times... as against... use ones and buy many times.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Plus the user interface is a bit clunky. Getting the kitchen sink into your camera bag can be a problem.