1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My £1 lens on my Black AE-1 ( yes Folks-- I mean FILM--)

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by PeteE, Mar 9, 2017.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

OK Folks -- Don;t leave the Forum because I'm about to tell you a story based on FILM ------
    I bought a Canon Breechlock 35mm f3.5 SSC lens at my Camera Club Auction for £1 - 00 because nobody else had Canon FILM cameras -- so I took it to London with my Black AE-1 loaded with 2006 outdated Kodak Ektachrome Elite Extracolor FILM I had been given by an Old Mate from 40 years ago. I set f5.6 ,not quite 'Full Aperture' and results were good on scanning at 1600 in my old ( but FREE!) Epson 1650 flatbed + Vuescan Pro + PhotoShop 7
    Here in Covent Garden I used a 'Diffraction' Filter
    [​IMG]AE-1 : £ 1 pound lens results! by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

The Entrance to Chinatown London -- good detail on Arch

Trafalgar Square with the annual Christmas Tree from King of Norway

Learning and Geren like this.
  2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Way to go, Pete!

You cannot be beaten in the economy stakes there. Looks like you got a good 'un for your £1. :)

PeteE likes this.
  3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Nice one Pete.

PeteE likes this.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

And I'm collecting my used Canon FD 300mm F/5.6 in a short time from Argos.
    I'll then be trying it on my Canon A1. Why the 300 F/5.6?
    Decades ago I was fortunate enough to borrow one and compare it with the 3rd. party long lenses from Soligor etc. that I was using. Simply no comparison, and in a fairly short time I'd bought into the Canon film range, followed by digital, so this is simply an emotional purchase with happy memories of long ago.
    I'm gradually getting my darkroom back into action again. Things have changed since I last did any darkroom work. Hardware prices seem to have dropped, whilst chemical prices seem to have risen.

PeteE likes this.
  5. 0lybacker

Good for you, Malcolm. As for chemicals & paper, I don't think the quality is as good as it was. Film is probably better than ever. Ilford no longer make chemicals by the way. Tetenal do it for them. I've switched to Foma for liquid Fixer, Fotospeed for Stop Bath and use D76 or Rodinal/RO9 for film Developer. Print developer was Multigrade but I'm thinking about looking for an alternative to that after some recent unsatisfactorinesses! Cheers, Oly

PeteE likes this.
  6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I have a good selection of film cameras including Olympus Trips, Pentax Super A and A Zero Image pinhole. All amazing in their own way. Nice results by the way.

7. 0lybacker

Mark, I hope you will be well enough and free enough from pain soon where you might be able to take one out of them out to use a roll of, perhaps, cheap colour film. How has this week been? Cheers, Oly

8. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Somewhat strange so far. Just getting used to being off therapy for three weeks, but started my seventh and unplanned cycle today. As explained, the gap between now and Addenbrookes' is too wide so they are keeping me primed. True to course, Velcade injection 15.00 hours, dinner 18.00 hrs, chronic diahrroa 19.00 hrs, so here we go again .

Avoiding a thread hijack please read teeth thread.