1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumix GX80 Focus Selection Point Problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Milambar, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Milambar

Milambar Well-Known Member

So after many years of good service, my Nikon D5000 died. I tried a Canon T2i I got from a pawn store relatively cheap, but I found I hated it. Its dynamic range seems bad, and the colours lack the vibrancy of my old Nikon.

So I took the plunge, and invested in a CSC camera, after a lot of research, I opted for the Panasonic Lumix GX80 with an additional 45mm f1.8 lens. Being more compact, it is ideal for travelling, and I do tend to travel a lot between the UK and the Netherlands, as I have friends in the Netherlands.

So far, I love the GX80, but I have been having a couple of issues with it, issues I hope that others here could possibly suggest a resolution for.

My main one is that when in IA+ mode (Intelligent Auto Plus), I can touch the touch screen to select the AF point, but when I half press the shutter release button, the camera promptly ignores my AF point setting, and picks its own, seemingly at random. For example, the other day I was trying to photograph a crane on a building site as a joke, my ladyfriend had suggested I photograph some cranes for her, but she meant the bird kind, I set the focus point on the cab of the crane, depressed the sutter, and the camera chose to focus on the guttering of a nearby (and much nearer) house instead.

So far it seems that my only option is to ignore the IA and IA+ modes, and use P, A, S, or M, anlong with a single point AF mode. Single point AF mode is not available in any of the Intelligent Auto modes.

Could anyone suggest what I am doing wrong, why the IA+ modes keep ignoring what I want it to focus on?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

for a definitive answer look at the manual but it is normal for full automatic modes to pick the focus point.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I've just had a play with my GF-5; if you select touch-focus-and-take-photo mode (touch shutter mode), the point you touched on the screen remains in focus when the photo is taken. Maybe you need to select this mode? When you press the shutter button instead of using touch-shutter, the camera is re-focusing and choosing what it wants to be in focus.

EDIT: Also have a look here:
    http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDk3MjAxMzQ5L3NpZC81SGxPWFNrbg==

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'll second that, over-automated 'point & shoot' modes tend to do their own thing when it comes to selecting the focus point and usually prefer to pick something closer and/or with high contrast....:rolleyes:

'Intelligent' is probably not the description I'd use for such options...;):D For a point and shoot option that's more user friendly I suggest either the P or A modes.