1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop recommndations

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by connie, Mar 17, 2017.

1. connie

connie Well-Known Member

hello

I wonder if anyone could recommend a laptop for photo editing, will also use it for internet emails, music etc and windows 10. I have seen dell xps 15 9650 which has 16gb ram as well as a 512 ssd. Any thoughts as it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack .
    Many thanks

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The question with all laptops is how much work you do on them. For any lengthy work you need a proper seating position, separate keyboard and height adjustable external monitor. Laptop screens tend to be quite sensitive to angle of view. I have a Levono for travel and and there is no point at all to use it for editing as the slightest change in viewing position alters seen colours and contrast. On the other hand I used a 2008 bottom of the range Sony Vaio for a few years for editing. It never travelled but stayed in the same position on a table so I could always be square on to it.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've never found laptops to be very good for photo work. Far better to get desktop computer and a decent monitor.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I wish someone had mentioned that to the people I worked for. The last ten years of my working life were served in a desktop free environment.

5. PeteRob

What? No VDU use risk assessments! Indeed the box was replaced by a laptop but every desk had a docking station and permanently wired monitor, keypad and mouse. Eventually the hot desks were standardised. Even working from home (virtual working) a formal sign-off on a work place risk assessment was needed. Too many people with RSI and other desk-bound injuries.

6. Andrew Flannigan

What's a VDU? Seriously, the last office I worked in we had around 200 desks and I think about half or fewer had docking stations. The rest were bare desks with a couple of power points and a network hole. I was only on that site for 9 months and they were in the middle of a re-organisation (largely the reason I was there) so it may just have been SNAFU.

7. PeteRob

Sorry. Visual Display Unit. I think the term goes back to the dedicated computer terminals that used a screen, before that you used a teletype or punched cards (I still have one somewhere) or tape.

It was adopted in the company as an office equipment term when the IBM XT was rolled out in its first role as a dumb terminal for the mainframe and with Displaywrite 3 was taking its first steps toward making the Displaywriters obsolete.

Within the company a monitor has always been called a VDU in context of risk assessment.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Ummm, I kind of knew that, the question was ironic. :( I wrote an ADM3A emulator for CP/M way, way back when 64K was a lot of memory.