1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jessops courses

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Mikey2341, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Mikey2341

Mikey2341 Member

There is every chance I'll get my first DSLR from Jessops and they offer a decent reduction on their beginners courses if you buy a camera from them. Has anyone been on one? Would you recommend them?

Thanks

2. Mikey2341

Mikey2341 Member

I'll take that as a no then....

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Never been on one so can't offer an opinion.
    I wonder if anyone else here has been on one?

Mikey2341 likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No - not been on one - I saw the post and looked for info. on course content to give advice but there wasn't much.

At the end of the day no harm can result in going on one.

When I started more serious photography you had to learn how to put the film in and how to take it out. Choose the aperture and exposure time to match the metering having set the film speed. Focus and off you went.

Basically that's all I do now with any camera. Most of the thousands of configuration options you get on a modern camera I disregard. I can see how someone new will be totally overwhelmed not knowing which 5% is important and which 95% isn't so a very basic introduction to which button does what could be useful.

RogerMac, Brian and Mikey2341 like this.
  5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I would never recommend that firm as somewhere to buy a camera, let alone advise anyone on how to use the damn things. However, my experience of the firm pre-dates their death and subsequent resurrection. In the past they were dire. Untrained, unhelpful staff more geared to conning customers with expensive "extended warranties" than with offering any photographic knowledge. Maybe part of the "Peter Jones Lazarus Act" has involved staff training, so you really have to judge for yourself. They may now be much better than in their old incarnation.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Except possibly some wasted money. Obviously nobody here has relevant experience
    To the OP:
    Why don't you take up their offer and post a review of the course to educate us?

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Looking at both the list of what's covered in the courses and reading some of the reviews, I feel you could get as much information from looking at free YouTube videos to be honest. Some of the reviews say the room was packed, some say there were only two people there. One person seems chuffed to have advanced from Fully Auto to "P" mode. Doesn't seem like that much of an advancement to me, but hey ho. Seems a bit hit and miss and you wo'nt know until you get there how much one to one tuition time you'd get. Honestly I'd save my money, start asking all the 'stupid questions'* on here and put your pics up for appraisal to get feedback. If you think we're a bit brutal, join an online photo club (htere are usually loads of informal comp groups on facebook) and learn from those who are better than you.

*There are no such thing. If you don't know, you won't know until you ask!

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

If you have no experience with DSLRs and little SLR knowledge then for £50 or so, go for it if you benefit from that form of learning. No course will suit all beginners and no presentor's style will be appreciated by everybody. More and more people and companies offer photography courses, no doubt as a means of making extra money but finding out if they are any good is not easy. If the courses offered by Jessops were really poor I am sure the feedback would be on the web would reflect this and Jessops are not likely to want to damage their reputation.

9. Mikey2341

Mikey2341 Member

Well I bought the course as part of my camera package... Will report back with how I found it

Geren, RogerMac and EightBitTony like this.