1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by sagamore, Jul 15, 2017.

1. sagamore

sagamore Well-Known Member

Just got one 2nd hand for £120, and am really pleased with it. No doubt it will be the usual battle learning to use it, but my first two images were superior to anything I have taken before.
    Bob

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. sagamore

Here is one of my first pictures. Not really sure what I am doing yet, but the results are promising.
    Bob
    [​IMG]

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Start and keep blasting away and posting, S_M :).

Jack

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Up until last year I was using the previous model s100fs from FF

I got some really good shots with mine and I have seen online other output which clearly shows if you learn how to sort using it you should be able to make some art. :)

Does not matter what camera you got it's about see a set of elements that work in a composition.

The S200EXR has the reach for airshow and wildlife shooting.

5. sagamore

Thank you for positive reply. I have to be careful at the moment, because they forgot to send the charger, so the battery may run out if I spend too much time on it. Hoping the charger will arrive today. However, I have made some progress, and discovered that I can set the shutter speed and aperture separately, that I could not do with my old Pentax X90 bridge camera. I have tried a few more shots, and am learning all the time. I should be able to sort it out, and things are looking good.
    Bob

6. sagamore

Charger and spare battery arrived safely this morning, so I can now begin learning how to use it properly!
    Bob

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Enjoy. The S series are nice little cameras.

8. sagamore

The camera is performing very well now. I can't connect to the computer via the cable though. Assume it is because I am missing the correct driver. Any idea where I can find one for the S200EXR. Have combed Google and not found anything that worked. Currently just taking card out and sticking it in computer to transfer images!
    Bob

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I've never done it any other way. The few occasions I've tried to connect the camera to the computer have always been a nightmare of miscommunication and even when set up I've never entirely trusted it to stay connected.

One possibility with your camera is that if it has any power save option turned on try turning it off. It may be that the software recognizes the option is on and won't connect - though I'd expect a message telling you so...

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Some cameras have a setting to tell them if they are connected to a computer or a direct printing device. If set to printing then you cannot download images. On the other hand computers can be fussy. My mac is happy to connect to my Fuji and download images. My windows 10 laptop will only see it if I am running the Fuji software (which is pretty useless for anything else). Google MyFinePix Studio - only works on windows.

11. sagamore

Thanks for replies. I have Windows 7. It is no big deal to just put the card in the computer, so I will stick to that method. I looked through all the options in the camera and coul;d not see any power save option. I was thinking of saving physical wear on the SD card, but the contacts are far heavier than the tiny connections on leads, so putting it direct in the computer is probabaly a better option, the SD card housing on this camera seems to be very substantial and sound.
    Thanks
    Bob

12. sagamore

It has started to work now! The only thing I did different, was to connect the camera to the PC whilst the camera was switched off. When I switched it on, it came up with "installing software!" Then after a few seconds, it said it was all ready. Initially, I could only open half the images. Eventually, I remembered I had set it to RAW + JPEG. The Jpegs open OK, but the RAWs do not. At the moment, I haven't much undersdtanding of RAWs, although I can convert them to Jpeg easily enough. Just thought I would have RAWs as well for possble future use!
    Bob

13. sagamore

What does the metering selector om35 button do? I have found it in the manual, but it doesn't actually say what it does! It has three positions and AE.L in the centre of he control.
    Bob

14. PeteRob

You should always connect with the camera turned off and turn the camera off before you disconnect. Raw files are a custom format but include a jpg thumbnail. I am a bit surprised Windows 7 doesn't recognise them as I thought microsoft were generally providing support to see the thumbnails. You used to have to install specific software. The Fuji raw file handler is from SilkyPix and is horrible.

15. PeteRob

AEL means (automatic) exposure lock. It lets you meter off one subject, lock the reading, then take the picture. The lock usually releases after a few seconds if you don't take a picture but on my Fuji there is (I think I remember) the option to configure that one press locks and another press releases.

I've no idea what an om35 button is. The metering selections usually are automatic (uses some logic to work out the best metering for the scene), centre-weighted (takes an overall average with bias to the centre), partial (uses the centre part of the screen), spot (uses much smaller portion of the scree). The last might be able to linked to the focus point (and partial the focus zone) which is easier to do with a CSC. DSLR's usually work around the centre point.

16. sagamore

Not really sure what vthat that lot means! I am not too bothered about RAW files at the moment. Just want to sort out how to use the camera first of all. I took it out this morning, but was not very successful. The sun was too bright for me to see the display screen. I switched it to Electronic Viewfinder, but with eye glued to that, I could not successfully fumble with the controls any more, so finally just took some pictures on automatic, none of which were very good. I got the camera mainly for photographing fairly small objects on a table indoors, and I am a lot more successful at that so far.
    Bob

17. P_Stoddart

Do you not have the manual for the S200EXR?

It is available online as a PDF just search for camera.

To be honest the s100fs is a better camera. It goes wider than the S200EXR and it has flip out screen.

In speed tests is shot to shot delay is lower because it is 10MP not 12MP. The extra 2MP does not give you much.

You want to really get your head around raw shooting to squeeze the maximum out of the camera. :)

Because it is a old model of camera I would think most modern photo editors will read the raw files.

18. sagamore

I have a manual now, but not when I took my first few images. The seller forgot to send the camera case, the manual and the battery charger. These turned up yesterday. Before messing about with RAW, I feel I have got to learn to use the camera properly. I got the S200EXR simply because it was only £120, including postage, and came with bag, charger, spare battery and 16gb memory card. I could easily afford a new one costing a lot more, but it would be wasted on me, because I only require it to take images that most photographers think are pretty poor, but I think are quite good! This was taken on my old Pentax X90, and I can't see anything wrong with it, but "experts" tell me it is not very good!
    Bob
    [​IMG]

19. P_Stoddart

Well that shot is what we call a "record" shot.

The photographer is usually showing a record of a item or place for reference.

My only critic of that shot is I would have include the the whole base not clipped each corner off.

Other than that it show the details of the item and you have including a common object to show a sense of scale to the item. :)

You got a good plain background so no distractions for anyone enjoying the model.

Good tip is always shoot a little wider because it is now very easy to crop back in with all photo editing software.

As for raw shooting there is not much difference if the editor can read the file into the screen. But the benefits are much more control over the images in terms of levels etc. Also a raw file has not compression effects in the file. You can also adjust colour balance issues with a raw file.

There was a piece about raw editing

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...ting/how-to-edit-raw-images-in-5-steps-106379

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's 'not very good'. It is fit for purpose, which as mentioned above is as a record shot. I suppose, if you were wanting it to be a 'great' record shot you could have worked to get the whole of the base in but frankly htat' sa bit of a niggle. Seems sharp, bright enough, no background distractions etc etc. No, it's not 'art', but it's fine for what I presume you wanted it for?