1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For any pensioners out there

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by steveandthedogs, May 19, 2017.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes:

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

True... in most cases, a Party's manifesto is really all you have, upon which to judge.

However, in the case of the Tory Party, it has helpfully provided additional information, by freely and openly demonstrating that it is deeply unpleasant.:) Does that help, at all? ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I've never really understood 'tactical voting'
    Ok, you may succeed in preventing candidate 'A' being elected, but you're in the Lap of the God's has to who will be.
    Before you know it the "Knock down the Town Hall and build a pub" party will be in power.
    Or worse still the Greens......!!!

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The deeply flawed first-past-the post system encourages it- as only one party ends up "representing" the electorate. You either vote for the winner or if thats not your choice, and you believe that the likely winner will be damaging to your interests you have to work out how to use you vote to minimise the damage.

In Scotland, we vote for who we want- and there is a probability that our interests will be represented proportionately.

Graeme

5. peterba

I think you'll find that they already are - we just need to get them out. :)

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  6. peterba

Well, I would throw my metaphorical hat in the air, if the Green Party formed a government (fantasy-land, I know).

Having said that, absolutely ANY party, positioned to the left of the Tories, would be a welcome improvement. It would hardly be difficult to improve on what we currently have. :(

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that the answer to that is obvious. They have opinions different from ours and think that they (the creeps) are doing, or will do, a better job than the rest.

MicklL

8. peterba

Yes, it's truly amazing how utterly wrong so many people can be...! ;)

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Force of habit.......................so many voters are on auto-pilot.

I can only hope that labour will seize the pensions 'bone' that the tories have thrown out and come up with acceptable, election-winning alternatives. And of course there's the NHS as well....................

Lynn

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the perception here at least seems to be that this does not lead to proportional representation (in general terms) in Westminster. From mutters around my area, I rather suspect it is going to be a two horse race. For many years,the Western Isles voted for the person, not the party. I suspect this election is going to be different - and party based. Of course we are seeing just how much influence and lack of it we represent in Westminster. We have also seen just how easily our politicians become influenced by it all and 1984 springs to mind when we look at our representative and how he has benefited by it all. :(

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

It was written with tongue-in-cheek after I'd read that Mrs Maybot will force pensioners to pay for a care home should they become incapacitated (ie: no longer able to go out taking photographs). Should they conk out with a heart attack, stroke, or get hit by a bus, then there will be no bill. (It's a tacky idea from a very tacky government).

Roger Hicks, Zou and peterba like this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Given I live in one of the safest Tory seats (it was Liberal when we first moved here then they changed the boundaries to fix it) the only way we can influence things is to shoot all the local Tories. I don't think our nice but overworked PCSO would like that. :cool:

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Think of manifestos as politicians bribing the proles.
    Why would you react to a Bribe that is never paid.

Far better to trust the ethos and philosophy of a party.... as that is not established by a few bad apples who will always rot away.
    Better still in the present situation is to vote Tactically.

14. peterba

Probably not - but only because of the extra paperwork...! ;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

who knows ? he might even help.....

peterba likes this.
  16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Tactical voting is all very well but what we need is an alternative to the perpetual slanging between the main parties. It is time to tell them all where to go.

We hear a lot from mainstream politicians about "populism" mainly because they are scared that we will see how bankrupt they are and vote for somebody who doesn't really want the job but believes they have something to offer.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you look an the manifesto as being what they will NOT do you may be able to use them but most would be eligible for the Booker prize. My vote will almost certainly not go to either Conservative or Labour, I'll see who else is standing in my constituency and see if I like them any better.

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

One thing that would help politics in the UK is to do away with the Houses of Parliament in their present form, and replace them with a building in which the parties are not directly facing each other. The person speaking has to go to a lectern and all the rest have to remain absolutely quiet until the speaker has finished.
    The present system is an embarrassing and outdated form.

S

saxacat and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  19. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'd be in favour of this idea providing all members are issued with peashooters and peas on entry.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nice quote from St. Ambrose of Milan