1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dougie Wallace - Street Photographer

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by velocette, Mar 17, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep at the lowest level of course all photography records what happens, or what's there. That's why people who don't just do that stand out. Webb overlays a lot of visual art structures, which I like, thanks for linking.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There's no mistake involved.

3. RovingMike

So Martin Parr, Luis Palha and so on are just recording the ordinary? Must be dead simple, any fool could do it. A link to some of yours perhaps?

4. Andrew Flannigan

Now you're just being silly. Yours is not the only valid opinion and your choice of style not the only valid choice.

5. RovingMike

Umm....that's not what was under discussion. But if asking to see your work after you've denigrated a lot of good photographers is silly, I think we can draw inference.

6. Andrew Flannigan

You may draw whatever inference you wish, with my blessing. In any case, I've posted plenty of pictures here, so I can't imagine how you haven't seen them.

7. RovingMike

Oh I do. And I have, one or two anyway.

8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Watched it last night and although I would hate that way of taking images, in all reality I suppose he is does portray that brash, chavvy, proud loud and loaded type he is photographing. It really does give a sense of the way some people behave. It wouldn't be right for the normal B&W candid street shots we see. It isn't pleasant but it is how money so often seems to be going these days.

9. RovingMike

Some of the best shots are of people reacting to his flash, which of course he doesn't see. But in a genre that can be so boring, he's created a personal style.I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't knock it either.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Isn't it the reaction he is looking for? He seems to do a pre-select on whether he thinks the subject, by means of appearence and demeanour, has a reasonable chance of reacting with utter shock, amusement or disdain.

My main thought in watching was that it has only to be a matter of time before a subject has a heart-attack, and how irresponsible the car shots were. Someone driving a Ferrari could mow down 20 yds of pedestrians iif they jumped with surprise when the flash went off. Many of those cars are left-hand drive too.

I don't quite know what to make of the Blackpool sequence. I have obviously led a more sheltered life than I thought.

11. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I did watch it and the way he goes up to people and flashes the camera off in their faces, it's a wonder he hasn't been attacked, or has he?

12. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Flash in the face street is commonly used in contemporary street. It even allows more kudos to the shot from folks who closely follow the genre. Which I don't agree with personally. I couldn't take shots that way myself, simply as I don't see it as ethical.

Personally, I prefer a little more creativity as found in some of Boris' work

https://www.lensculture.com/projects/273063-boris-the-flash#slide-6

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I had recorded this and only got to it last night. I have to say that I found the man obnoxious and if he shoved the camera and flash in my face in the manner he favours that my fist would probably be connecting with his face. Illegal it may not be, but he shows little or no respect for most of his subjects, at least Martin Parr is observational rather than totally intrusive.

14. RovingMike

Oh what MP does takes a lot more ability and a very keen eye. There is something in what someone said earlier about law of averages. We all do hundreds and just pick the ones that work best, but I suspect that guy is relying more on luck than judgement.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Agreed. In one respect his luck will almost certainly run out when he chooses the wrong subject, John Prescott would be interesting:).

16. Andrew Flannigan

I'm surprised there hasn't been at least an attempt to charge him with harrasment under the CPS guidelines as in: "Closely connected groups may also be subjected to 'collective' harassment. The primary intention of this type of harassment is not generally directed at an individual but rather at members of a group. This could include: members of the same family; residents of a particular neighbourhood; groups of a specific identity including ethnicity or sexuality, for example, the racial harassment of the users of a specific ethnic community centre; harassment of a group of disabled people; harassment of gay clubs; or of those engaged in a specific trade or profession.". See this page: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/stalking_and_harassment/#a02a