1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D7100 sensor clean

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by lfc1892, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM.

1. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

hello folks. I have a Nikon d7100 in need of a sensor clean. Is it safe to diy it and if so, what do you good folks recommend?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In the first instance a rocket blower with the shutter on the cleaning setting. It may well dislodge the dust without further action, don't physically touch the sensor though.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Lots of videos on Youtube showing the standard sensor swab cleaning approach - not sure if I'd want to risk my own first time around. My house is dusty and full of pet hair, even getting screen protectors onto things in my house (when I used to bother trying) is fatal.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Try just a blower first (not canned air) which is what I expect Nikon recommend. Follow instructions to the letter.

5. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll try the blower and if that doesn't work I'll take it to jessops for a clean

6. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I use an "Eyelead". So after a onboard clean, then a blow. I take a shot of a white paper sheet on SD card, check on the TV,(I can plug my card in it, and see were the dust is) finally picking of the suborn spots, with the eyelead. It is a sticky pad with no residue and uses no fluids.
    BUT.... if you are not good at "fine finger work" get it done for you, it is too easy to make things worse.