1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At the bird feeder

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Jeff Horton, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:26 AM.

1. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Active Member

My mother in law has kept a pie plate with seed on her porch railing for years. I have always wanted to try to photograph the bird it attracts. I had just bought a new wireless remote so I could set up the camera and shoot from inside the house.

I took a LOT of photos since I was shooting sort of blind. A few came out OK, nothing really good by bird photography standards but OK for first attempt.

This cardinal was curious about the camera.

[​IMG]SJH_4380 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

[​IMG]SJH_4381 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

The Titmouse pretty much live here. Lots of photos of them

[​IMG]SJH_4516 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

Probably my favorite.

[​IMG]SJH_4495 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan and SXH like this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Given the setup, nice shots. I love the cardinal. We've got a lot of feeders on a tree very close to the house, and I have wondered about doing something similar (or getting one of those popup hides and just sitting outside).

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My mother in law had some little figurines of native (to her) birds and I made the mistake of politely admiring them when shown. Consequently I found them bequeathed to me when she died. I really thought they were the most hideous things I'd ever seen and always assumed that the cardinal was just very badly painted in over-saturated red. Turns out, looking at your photographs (and I do love the second cardinal shot) they were just very badly painted but the colour was about accurate.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Active Member

These came out good enough that I wish I could have changed the set up. But the camera was sitting right in front of the door leading into the house, so I couldn't get a good angle with nothing behind the birds. People coming and going to much. I started to move the pan out some but that put it in the sunshine but from behind the birds. So it was a compromise but it was good practice. The bird didn't have any problem with the camera being there.

One thing I walked away with is that it would be fairly easy to set up a natural looking 'studio' outside a window and use the remote.

Thats funny! This cardinal is actually a little rough looking. Maybe molting or just worn out from raising a flock of little ones. But he was definitely not looking his best.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You can see why they are called cardinals, though.

Handsome little devils.

S